Friday, June 6, 2014

#240 Expectations

Bismillahirrahmanirrahim.

They say; start the day with something sweet and end it with something sweeter. I am trying to live by it, though more often than ever I tripped myself and fell. I missed how I used to write a lot without having a pause, because the idea just kept coming. Somehow, that time seems like ages ago. Eheh.

Anyway. I am here today after a while because of expectations. I was reminded of an incident, maybe eight years ago? I used to text a friend. Wanting to be perfect in front of him, I always thought very carefully before saying or writing anything to him. And one day, texting him made me realized that, although of the same age, we have this very huge gap of ways of thinking. My daily conversation with my girlfriends was about novels, dramas, boys and for me it was completely normal. While what he thought, texted and talked about was something that I wasn't used to, like the current issues of the country. I thought he was just more mature than he should be. However, it turned out that it was me, who didn't grow up fulfilling the expectation of the world.

Expectations. I am not talking about what our parents' expectations are of us, or what our expectations are of ourselves. This is about the the world's, the norm's expectations of us. Like..by the age of eight, you should have already known how to solve simple mathematics. By the age of eighteen, the country's issues should be included in your daily conversation. This kind of expectation. Ugh, why am I having the feeling that no one will really get what I am saying now? >.<

I am somehow bothered by this expectation again. At the age of 24. The world's expectation for a 24-year-old would be; graduating, working, getting married, buying a car or even a house. A friend shared this article; 25 Things Every Woman Should Have By The Time She Turns 25

Now tell me how am I not thinking about this expectation? I don't even know whether this is a good thing or not; knowing there's so much more to fulfill should give us the drive to work harder to fulfill them. But at the same time, knowing others your age have fulfilled them yet you are still the one trying...

Okay. 

But, living in your own unique way, isn't that also nice? Well, this might sound rebellious. But just because the world is like that, should we become that way as well? Who made the rule that to be successful you need to have a piece of paper called degree? Well, it may help but it doesn't mean those without it aren't successful.

This is the problem of the world. We measure people's success by how much money they make. We think someone should be respected when they graduated from prestigious colleges. We measure people superficially. Those superficial qualifications matter, but they are not what matter most.

"O mankind, indeed We have created you from male and female and made you people and tribes that you may know one another. Indeed the most nobel of you in the sight of Allah is the most righteous of you. Indeed, Allah is Knowing and Acquainted."

"Wahai manusia! Sungguh, Kami telah menciptakan kamu dari seorang laki-laki dan seorang perempuan, kemudian Kami jadikan kamu berbangsa-bangsa dan bersuku-suku agar kamu saling mengenal. Sungguh, yang paling mulia di antara kamu di sisi Allah ialah orang yang paling bertakwa. Sungguh, Allah Maha Mengetahui, Maha Teliti."

49:13

What are people's expectations, or the world's expectations if Allah doesn't even count any of them?

So yeah Shiela. Don't be depressed seeing your friends moving forward faster than you. Do your best in whatever given to you, and the priority is not for the world to acknowledge you, but Allah. InsyaAllah. 

0 comments: